Antonio Lamer, former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Canada, has died in Ottawa at age 74.
Lamer was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada on March 28, 1980 and became Chief Justice on July 1, 1990. Lamer retired from the Court in January 2000.
According to CBC:
Lamer died Saturday, peacefully and surrounded by family members, said Eugene Meehan, a former aide and longtime friend. He had been in and out of hospital several times in recent years suffering from recurring heart problems.
For additional press coverage, see:
- Lamer remembered as man who kept common touch, despite trappings of office - The Canadian Press
- Antonio Lamer, 74 - Globe and Mail
- Former chief justice Lamer dead at 74 - Toronto Star
- Former Supreme Court chief justice Antonio Lamer dies - CBC
- Chief justice lived for the law - Toronto Star
- Lamer fought for justice 'til end - Ottawa Sun
- Garry J. Wise, Toronto