Slate has an interesting twist today on the inevitable onslaught of December 31st top-ten lists.
These are the issues that make writer Dahlia Lithwick's final cut:
1. The United States does not torture.
2. State secrets.
3. Alberto Gonzales.
4. Nine U.S. attorneys were fired by nobody, but for good reason.
5. Everyone who has ever spoken to the president about anything is barred from congressional testimony by executive privilege.
6. Water-boarding may not be torture.
7. The Guantanamo Bay detainees enjoy more legal rights than any prisoners of war in history
8. The vice president's office is not a part of the executive branch.
9. Scooter Libby's sentence was commuted because it was excessive.
10. The NSA's eavesdropping was limited in scope.
In a similar vein, see TPM's Great List of Scandalized Administration Officials from Talking Points Memo.
- Garry J. Wise, Toronto