Check out this "official" ranking of its all-time top ten law songs by U.S. law blog, Above the Law:
- I Fought The Law - The Clash
- Lawyers, Guns, and Money - Warren Zevon
- 99 Problems - Jay-Z
- Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
- We're All Winners, as arranged by Nixon Peabody
- Law and Order theme song
- Hurricane - Bob Dylan
- Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie
- I Fought The Law - Bobby Fuller 4
- The Road Goes on Forever - Robert Earl Keen
What do you think?
I'm wondering about the omission of the theme from Perry Mason, a golden-era TV offering which no doubt piqued the original interest of a whole generation of lawyers in pursuing careers in the field of real-life courtroom drama:
Back to the list....
We've previously featured numbers 1 and 9.
So, here is the late Warren Zevon with a rare, acoustic version of Lawyers Guns and Money from a 1994 BBC Christmas broadcast:
... and a more robust, full band version, from David Sanborn's Night Music in the late 80's:
And finally, our featured tune makes a cameo appearance as a theme song for a David Letterman bit, Celebrity Legal Troubles, with Mr. Zevon filling in for an absent Paul Schaeffer:
- Garry J. Wise, Toronto