U.S. Democrats have released their final health care bill.
A vote in the House of Representatives on the landmark legislation is expected Sunday.
Among the bill's highlights:
- 32 million currently-uninsured Americans will gain health care coverage by 2014;
- No public option or government insurance plan is included in the legislation;
- Most Americans will be legally required to buy health care coverage;
- Denials of coverage for children with pre-existing conditions will be immediately prohibited;
- Denial of coverages for all adults with pre-existing illnesses will be banned, effective 2014;
- The bill does not include the restrictive abortion language demanded by Representative Bart Stupak.
The new legislation is summarized here by AP: Democrats release final health care overhaul bill
- Garry J. Wise, Toronto
Update - Obama Says Bill Will Pass