Thursday, September 06, 2007

"Carded" and Bewildered in Maine

I chuckled at this story of a 65 year old senior being "carded" in Maine when she attempted to purchase alcohol.

It happened to me too, last month, on vacation in Bar Harbor.

... Hannaford's new policy is to check IDs of anyone who looks under 45 and wants to buy alcohol. The previous policy was to check for proof of age of those who look younger than 30.

The policy is not unlike those of many other Maine businesses and chains who want to stop minors from illegally buying alcoholic beverages and cigarettes.

In 2005, the state Legislature passed a law that requires identification from those who look under 27 years old before they can buy either.

Earlier this year, some Portland establishments tightened their ID policies following an undercover sting of dozens of bars and convenience stores that led to 20 summonses for selling alcohol to underage customers. One restaurant, the Flatbread Co., told employees to card anyone ordering drinks who looks under 40.


In my case, not only was I carded.

After I presented my i.d., the young clerk at the convenience store then pulled out an official-looking booklet, containing examples of drivers' license cards throughout the world, to verify my that my Ontario identification was indeed authentic.

I wasn't sure whether I should be flattered or annoyed, but I opted for annoyed.

- Garry J. Wise, Toronto
Visit our Website: http://www.wiselaw.net/

No comments: