Monday, April 05, 2010

That April Foolin' New York Personal Injury Lawyer

I confess that for a brief moment, I was fooled too.

When our blawger friend, Eric Turkewitz of the New York Personal Injury Attorney Blog announced his appointment last week as "official White House law blogger,“ my instant immediate reaction was 'wow, that's cool - I know that guy!'

Mr. Turkewitz' announcement was unusually (for him) understated, well in keeping with the solemnity of the moment:
Since word is already dribbling out among my friends, I thought I should let you know here: I'm closing down this blog in the next few weeks to start up a new one at the White House as their official law blogger. I'll have the opportunity to both expand the scope of my writing and serve my country at the same time. As blogging gigs go, it doesn't get any better than that.

Here's the back story....

Then, I noticed the date - April 1, 2010 - and like most readers, was fooled no more.

The New York Times Cityroom Blog, however, did not exercise these basic deductive processes, and apparently, kinda-sorta took the bait.

Here's the Times' "correction:"

[Note: an earlier version of this column had an item about a blog post by a personal-injury lawyer, Eric Turkewitz, announcing that he had been appointed the White House law blogger. Blogospheric chatter indicates a high likelihood that this post was an April Fool hoax. Mr. Turkewitz declined to give us a straight answer on this score, so, pending callback from the White House, we've taken the item down.]

Nicely done, Eric.

(I may be seeing you soon.

I'm considering a run for Mayor of New York as a Tea Party candidate).

- Garry J. Wise, Toronto

Update: April 6, 2010

Some people just can't take a joke: Lawyer Says April Fool’s Joke Was Not an Ethics Violation

- GJW

Visit our Toronto Law Firm website: www.wiselaw.net

EMPLOYMENT LAWCIVIL LITIGATIONWILLS AND ESTATESFAMILY LAW & DIVORCE

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT WISE LAW BLOGSUBSCRIBE TO WISE LAW BLOG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm considering a run for Mayor of New York as a Tea Party candidate

You'll feel right at home here now that they've opened up Tim Horton's.

But I would go looking for good grub instead.

--Eric T.