Friday, June 20, 2008

Top Ten Law Songs

Check out this "official" ranking of its all-time top ten law songs by U.S. law blog, Above the Law:

    1. I Fought The Law - The Clash
    2. Lawyers, Guns, and Money - Warren Zevon
    3. 99 Problems - Jay-Z
    4. Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash
    5. We're All Winners, as arranged by Nixon Peabody
    6. Law and Order theme song
    7. Hurricane - Bob Dylan
    8. Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie
    9. I Fought The Law - Bobby Fuller 4
    10. The Road Goes on Forever - Robert Earl Keen

What do you think?

I'm wondering about the omission of the theme from Perry Mason, a golden-era TV offering which no doubt piqued the original interest of a whole generation of lawyers in pursuing careers in the field of real-life courtroom drama:



Back to the list....

We've previously featured numbers 1 and 9.

So, here is the late Warren Zevon with a rare, acoustic version of Lawyers Guns and Money from a 1994 BBC Christmas broadcast:

... and a more robust, full band version, from David Sanborn's Night Music in the late 80's:

And finally, our featured tune makes a cameo appearance as a theme song for a David Letterman bit, Celebrity Legal Troubles, with Mr. Zevon filling in for an absent Paul Schaeffer:


- Garry J. Wise, Toronto

Visit our Toronto Law Firm website: www.wiselaw.net

EMPLOYMENT LAWCIVIL LITIGATIONWILLS AND ESTATESFAMILY LAW & DIVORCE

ORIGINALLY POSTED AT WISE LAW BLOGSUBSCRIBE TO WISE LAW BLOG

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fought the law *twice*! Well, it surely is a catchy ditty.

I nominate The Mystery of Iniquity by Lauryn Hill. For anyone who hasn't heard it, it may be familiar by way of All Falls Down by Kanye West who borrowed the song's main hook for his early hit.

Wisknou said...

I Shot the Sheriff - written by Bob Marley in 1973 and a big hit for Eric Clapton in 1974.


Half Breed - Cher

The Indians said that I was white by law. The White man called me Indian Squaw.
Half Breed - that's all I ever heard
Half Breed - How I learned to hate the word
Half Breed - both sides were against me since the day I was born.


Lawyers in Love - Jackson Browne