Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Solutions? Bigger Anti-Smoking Warnings?

I'm a smoker, but I'll say this anyway.

If the government is genuinely serious about limiting tobacco-related harm, try this on for a concept:

Just do it - ban the sale of cigarettes and tobacco products in Canada.

Don't enact silly,  feels-good, looks-awful measures like legislating larger anti-smoking warnings on cigarette packs.

Be prepared to lose our abundant tax revenues from the sale of tobacco products, and do what the scientific and medical evidence overwhelmingly suggests.

Tobacco is a dangerous product.  Ban it.

(You'd probably be doing me a favour).

- Garry J. Wise, Toronto
Visit our Toronto Law Office website: www.wiselaw.net

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is precisely what I, a longtime smoker, have advocated for decades. Alas, governments are more addicted to the voluntary taxes than I was to nicotine - I quit cold turkey this year.