Thursday, February 23, 2017

Setting Up or Updating Child Support Online in Ontario


Wouldn’t it be amazing if you could avoid going to Court to update or set up your child support payments?

The Government of Ontario has made that an option for some, by setting up a user-friendly site found here.

It's important to first note who cannot use this process:
  • If either parent or child lives outside of Ontario
  • If any children are over 17.5 years old or married
  • If there is split or shared custody of the child(ren)
  • If the parent/caregiver who currently pays or will pay for child support:
    • is self-employed
    • earns more than $150,000 or less than $10,800 annually
    • earns cash income
    • is a partner or majority shareholder of a business
    • earns most of their income as a landlord or seasonal worker (e.g., employed in snow removal, fishing or landscaping)
What will you require before setting up or updating your child support online?:
  • Social Insurance Number or Temporary Tax Number
  • Current mailing address for the other parent/caregiver
  • Contact information for the person responsible for the payroll at your workplace (if you're the person who currently pays or will pay child support)
  • An electronic copy of your current Court Order or Separation Agreement, or information from your current Notice of Calculation or Recalculation
  • If you did not file your taxes last year, you will also require either:
    • 3 most recent pay stubs, or
    • Your most recent statement of income from employment insurance, social assistance, a pension, workers compensation or disability payments.
What is the process for setting up or updating your child support using this site?
  • There is a non-refundable $80 fee for each parent, each time the service is used (this may be waived if your household is considered low-income, you can note this in your application)
  • You then go to the website and click the blue button "set up or update child support" and from there you will be taken through an array of questions to complete your Application.
  • The Responding party to your Application will be notified by mail once the Application has been submitted and has 25 days to respond.
- Rachel Spence, Law Clerk

Visit our Toronto Law Office website:

No comments: